contact_sitemap GO TO INTERNET BANKING
menu
PAGE TITLE
For hundreds of years, the Fox River Valley was the favorite hunting ground of the Fox and Pottawatomie Indian Tribes while numerous buffalo herds roamed the adjoining prairies and came to rest and water along the river banks of the Fox. These buffaloes can be seen above and to the left of the covered wagons in the extreme left end of the mural.

The solider in the foreground was among the first white men to cross the Fox River. In 1832 these soldiers came from Fort Dearborn to quell the Indian uprising. Chief Black Hawk, represented by the tall, standing Indian with the defiant expression on his brow, spearheaded this uprising.

Mr. James T Gifford, who left Chicago in 1835 and headed west, became the first settler in the present site of Elgin. His figure dominated the center of the mural.

Covered wagons drawn by oxen began arriving thereafter and the men cleared the underbrush and plowed under the many weeds that covered the prairie.

Perhaps the first industrial venture in Elgin was the sawmill, for lumber was much in demand for homes and for the wooden bridge which was built in 1837.

Mural Dedicated to the Pioneers and Citizens of Elgin
With the building of the railroad in 1848 the Town of Elgin grew rapidly and new industries were the condensed milk factory, the woolen mills, the iron works, butter factory and the plowshare works. The Elgin National Watch Company was started in 1864 and not only made the name “Elgin” world famous by gave employment to many workers. Most of these industries are represented to the left of the corner stone in the right front portion of the mural.

In 1904, the Union National Bank of Elgin opened its doors to the residents of the area. Today the Union National Bank and Trust Company of Elgin, as well as in 1904, is giving ‘Friendly Service for Everyone.’ The old banking quarters’ entrance and the new bank under construction together with the construction workers, the bank employees and its officers, are depicted in the area to the extreme right of the mural.

The upper portion of the mural represents Elgin at the beginning of the Twentieth Century. The view is east on Chicago Street from Fountain Square.

This mural is dedicated to the foresight of the pioneers and citizens of Elgin who made the City what it is today with prospect of better and newer buildings in the future.

*From the 1961 Opening of the new Union National Bank building.